As pet parents, we go to great lengths to provide the best for our furry friends. From ensuring they have enough exercise to living in a clean environment with access to the right dog accessories and high-quality dog food. Wow, the life of a pet parent is busy, to say the least! However, when it comes to dog supplements, not many of us know our Omega 3's from our potassium.
However, no need to beat yourself up; not many pet parents do because although dog supplements are becoming an increasingly popular topic, many of us are still in the proverbial dark regarding their hound benefits.
Furthermore, their pros and cons can seem like somewhat of a mystery when faced with a plethora of pet supplement products available online. In today's Mountain Hound blog post, we'll dive into what dog supplements are and their benefits, as well as highlight important things to remember when selecting the best ones for your hound.
What are Dog Supplements?
Dog supplements are dietary elements that can be added to a hound's diet to enhance their health. They come in various shapes and sizes, from tablets to chewable treats and are designed to provide your dog with the necessary vitamins and nutrients they may not be getting enough of via their regular diet.
Dietary supplements can also be used for senior dog care, for example to support specific health issues, such as arthritis or allergies, or to assist with maintaining their health.
Pros and Cons of Using Canine Dietary Supplements
Promote a healthy coat and skin.
Can protect from degenerative diseases like cancer and arthritis.
Help address any nutrient deficiencies in your pet's diet.
- Could lead to excess nutrient intake, which could result in toxicity.
- Some dogs may be allergic to certain ingredients found in some supplements.
- Pet parents might use supplements as substitutes for a balanced meal, which could lead to malnutrition.
Below are 6 Essential Vitamins and Nutrients that are important for a healthy dog:
- Essential Hound Vitamins (A, B, C, D, E, and K)
- Minerals like calcium, potassium, and iron
- Omega fatty acids
Choosing the Best Dog Food Brand for Your Hound
While supplements are important, choosing a balanced dog food is crucial. Some key things to keep in mind when choosing the best dog food for your hound include: First, it's advisable to look for a recipe with high-quality animal protein sources, such as turkey, chicken or fish. Next, look for food with a healthy balance of carbohydrates, fiber, and fats. Try to avoid dog foods that contain too many fillers or additives, as these are not nutritionally beneficial.
Dog Food Ingredients to Avoid
While it's important to look for specific ingredients in dog food, it's just as important to avoid certain ones that can be harmful to hounds, such as:
- Artificial preservatives
- Grains like wheat and corn
- Artificial sweeteners
- Food coloring
- Meat by-products and rendered fats
Top 5 US Dog Supplements and Their Benefits
- NuVet Plus: This supplement contains all the essential minerals and vitamins hounds need for optimal health and nutrition.
- Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin for Dogs: This supplement helps relieve joint pain, inflammation, and stiffness in dogs.
- PetHonesty Probiotics: This supplement promotes a healthy digestive system and can help relieve gastrointestinal issues your dog may be experiencing.
- Grizzly Salmon Oil: This supplement is high in omega-3s (fatty acids), which promote healthy skin, a shiny coat, and better joint health.
- NaturVet All-in-One - contains glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM to support joint health. These supplements also contain probiotics for a healthy digestive system and essential vitamins and minerals to support overall health.
Dog supplements can be an excellent addition to a dog's diet, but it's important to choose high-quality products that will benefit their health. Speak to your vet to understand what nutrients your dog needs, and then source supplements from reputable suppliers. Remember, while supplements are a great idea to keep your hound healthy, nothing can substitute a nutritious, balanced diet; it's essential for a happy and healthy dog.