Help My Dog Just Ate That!

Help My Dog Just Ate That!

It’s no secret that our loveable hounds can be notoriously naughty when it comes to their eating habits. Unfortunately, dogs have a tendency to get into all kinds of trouble, especially when munching on inappropriate items such as the odd-sock, shoe, or toy! What pet parent hasn’t spent an emergency vet visit frantic with worry because their loveable hound decided to chew on something other than the food in their dog bowls, only to have the vet say, ‘It’s okay, they can digest that!’

Certain Human Foods Can Be Lethal for Dogs

So when worrying about human-safe foods, you might be forgiven for thinking along the same lines! Wrong! Unfortunately, some food items considered safe for human consumption can actually be lethal for our canine companions if they eat them.

Human Foods Unfit for Dog Bowls

First, it’s important to understand what types of human food are dangerous for dogs and potentially cause death if ingested in large quantities.

  •  Chocolate
  • Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Fatty foods (sausages, meat trimmings)
  • Xylitol (found in sweetener)

Foods like chocolate, grapes, raisins, and onions all contain compounds that can be toxic to a hound. Unfortunately, foods typically considered “safe” for humans, such as onions and garlic, can make a dog very ill if eaten in large amounts. Not to mention that fatty foods can cause a serious condition called pancreatitis that can be lethal! Additionally, feeding your dog rich human foods can cause serious stomach upsets, including vomiting and diarrhea.

What the Scary Statistics Show

According to the ASPCA, it’s estimated that over 10,000 dogs are accidentally killed each year due to ingesting poisonous food items. This is why it’s so important for pet owners to be aware of what foods their dog has access to and the potential consequences that can result from eating something they shouldn’t.

When to Take Your Pet to the Vet

So, when should you take your pup to the vet if they have eaten something inappropriate? If your dog has ingested something potentially harmful or begins exhibiting signs of illness, such as vomiting and diarrhea, it’s best to seek veterinary advice. In fact, if you’re wondering when to take your dog to the vet for vomiting after ingesting something toxic, the answer is immediately!

How to Stop Hungry Hounds from Sneaking Human Snacks

Avoid leaving food in accessible places like the kitchen counter or low tables where curious hounds may snag a tasty non-doggie snack! Instead, invest in quality dog bowls (food and water) to ensure your hound has easy access to their dog-friendly diet without needing to go in search of a tasty titbits that could very likely put their lives at risk!

Why do Dogs Eat Strange Things?

 There are a few explanations for this doggie behavior:

  •  Some dogs turn to scavenging out of boredom or lack of stimulation.
  •  A canine’s natural instinct is to eat as much as they can while the opportunity presents itself since they don’t know when their next decent meal will be!
  • Many dogs enjoy the taste (and texture) of certain food items that aren’t considered “dog-friendly” and, as a result, shouldn't be found in their dog bowls!

The Final Gulp

Keeping our curious doggie companions away from potentially harmful human food can be tough, but with a little extra effort and awareness, you can help your hound stay safe and healthy. Be sure to educate yourself on the correct diet for your dog, and keep an eye out for anything that may pose a threat. With these tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to keeping your furry friend happy and healthy!


ASPCA: Accidental Poisoning in Dogs

Image by StockSnap from Pixabay