As pet parents, we often find ourselves wading through the many responsibilities of owning a dog. But aside from the many dog training sessions, multiple walks, and frequent feeding and snacking sessions, our dogs are more than just a responsibility. They are creatures of many capabilities, many of which most pet parents are unaware of!
Do you know what breed the world's oldest dog was? Or how many times a day a dog can pee? If not, don't worry - you're about to learn some fun and interesting facts about dog's aka man's best friend!
Dogs have been loyal companions and friends to adoring pet parents for thousands of years, and still, there is so much we don't know about them. In this blog post, we will cover 10 interesting facts about dogs that most people don't know.
10 Interesting Facts About Dogs
- The world's oldest verified dog lived to be 29 years old! This Australian Cattle Dog named Bluey was born in 1910 and passed away in 1939.
- Dogs can pee up to 7 times per day! The average number of bathroom breaks is 4-5 times a day depending on how much they drink, environment temperature, and exercise.
- One of the most commonly known facts about dogs is incorrect! Dogs are not colorblind - they can see all colors, just not as clearly as humans do. In fact, dogs see the color yellow best!
- One of the most interesting facts about dogs is that they don't sweat like humans. Instead, they pant to regulate their body temperature in the heat or when they get too hot after exercising for long periods of time. And if you're wondering where their sweat pores are, these are located in their paw pads!
- While most breeds have between 18 and 42 teeth, some, like the Chihuahua, have as few as 10. Not sure about you, but few pet parents would appreciate a Chihuahua with 42 teeth!
- There are over 400 distinct breeds of dogs, ranging from small toy breeds to large working breeds. Of course, we still love our furry mixed-breed hounds!
- Dogs can hear sounds 4 times further away than humans can - their hearing range is 40 Hz to 60 kHz! Dogs can even hear electromagnetic waves, which is why many believe they can predict earthquakes.
- Dogs have been known to assist in search and rescue operations, detect explosives, diagnose cancer and even perform CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
- Research has shown that playing classical music for your pup may help reduce their stress levels and improve mental health.
- On average, a dog's sense of smell is between 10,000 and 100 million times better than a humans'! This would explain why you can never hide those tasty treats very successfully!
Finally, Dogs Are Paw-some-ly Awesome!
Aside from being the cute, loveable furry companions we adore, our hounds are complex creatures with pretty amazing capabilities! So next time you're out for a walk with your hound, try asking a fellow pet parent if they know one of the fun facts about dogs we've covered here - who knows, perhaps they'll be impressed with your hound knowledge!